AKA the best frosting you'll ever eat! This is seriously my favorite frosting ever and I eat it by the spoonful any chance I get. It's not quite as sweet and sugary as other frostings. Growing up, it was actually the only kind of frosting I liked and it was the only kind of frosting my mom made. The chocolate and cream cheese combo might sound a little weird at first but just trust me, once you try it you'll never go back. The only downside to this frosting is that it's not quite as easy to work with as say a buttercream. It tends to be a little on the soft side. But the flavor is worth it! This recipe is a big batch because, let's be honest, when has too much frosting ever been a problem?! Plus, this frosting is good enough you want some leftover- to eat by the spoonful, obviously!.
2.5 cups heavy cream
Three 8oz packages of cream cheese (room temperature)
1.5 cups cocoa powder
4.5 cups confectioners sugar
1. Pour the heavy cream into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a whisk. Whisk until the cream holds a stiff peak. Transfer the whipped cream to a different bowl and set aside.
2. Put the cream cheese into the bowl of the mixer and using a beater paddle, beat the cream cheese until soft.
3. Alternately add the cocoa powder and confectioners sugar about a cup at a time.
4. Once all the cocoa powder and confectioners sugar has been added scrape down the side and beat once more until everything is combined.
5. Gently stir in the whipped cream a little bit at a time. Adding it little by little makes it easier to mix in and you can control the consistency better. If the frosting seems like it's getting too soft, don't add more whipped cream.
You can store this frosting in the fridge for several days just make sure you give it a stir before you use it to get out the air bubbles.